What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is continuing to provide funding for the academic year of 2018/2019 to provide substantial primary school sport funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and sees money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of Funding
Schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sports clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
How we are spending the Sports Funding and who benefits?
The Governors agree that the money must be used so that: all children benefit regardless of sporting ability, that staff have access to working alongside specialists and have opportunities for training, that there are a greater variety of extracurricular opportunities for PE/sport, that a high proportion of children are given opportunities to compete in tournaments and competitions and that swimming is continued to be offered to all children.
The table below shows how we are spending the sports funding during 2018/2019. This year our school received £19000 Sports Funding.