This morning, Y6 were treated to a Google meet session with the author of our topic book: The Garden of Lost Secrets by Ann-Marie Howell.
Ann joined the class virtually, spoke about her inspiration for the book and also about what it is like to be an author.
The children had prepared questions to ask and were able to listen to her responses to all their questions.
Some of the questions included:
- How did you choose the names for the characters and the title for the book?
- Were any of the characters based on people you know?
- What are your top tips for writing a mystery?
- Where did you get your inspiration from?
- What sort of books do you like to read?
One of the key messages that the children were inspired by was: don’t give up after the first draft or if your writing is rejected by publishers. Keep working hard and making it better each time you redraft it.
Ann is looking forward to reading some of the poetry the children have reading and the mysterious stories they will write over the coming weeks.