Year 4 were taught by their classmates in Maths today!
These children were very confident with multiplying 2 digits by 1 digit so planned a lesson to teach their class how to multiply 3 digits by 1 digit. They:
- used concrete resources to help them practice,
- put examples under the visualiser to discuss improvements
- questioned the children well,
- used the correct mathematically vocabulary
- gave support to their peers when asked for
- were clear with their explanations
- gave their classmates challenges when they were getting confident
This exercise helped them deepen their own understanding of the column multiplication method. They were able to think on their feet and provide excellent teaching instruction.
All children in the class made excellent progress thanks to their student teachers!
Some of the student teachers have now even expressed an interest in being a real teacher – watch out Dunmow St. Mary’s! The eager pupils said it was a very fun lesson and their peers were very helpful and explained things clearly.