Over the last couple of months, Year 4 have taken part in a Junior River Warden Project. We have been set weekly challenges by a River Warden from The Essex Wildlife Trust such as:
- observing natural and man-made features of a river;
- recording types of habitats in and around a river;
- surveying the River Chelmer for the suitability of introducing beavers;
- recording the depth and speed of the river;
- plotting the course of the river to turn into our own Ordnance Survey maps;
- and collecting water samples from the river and a variety of natural items from the area to inspire our artwork.
We have thoroughly enjoyed our walks down to the River Chelmer, and The Essex Wildlife Trust have been so impressed with the children, that they have awarded them each with a certificate as Honorary River Wardens.
Thank you to all the parents that accompanied us on our walks – we hope you had as much fun as we did!